Roscosmos cosmonauts Sergey Ryzhikov and Sergey Kud-Sverchkov are conducting spacewalks outside the International Space Station today. NASA astronaut Kate Rubins is tasked with assisting the cosmonaut duo with suiting up and monitoring their progress during what is expected to last up to six hours.
What to know
- First spacewalk for cosmonauts Ryzhikov and Kud-Sverchkov
- 232nd spacewalk to support ISS assembly, maintenance, and upgrades
- Eighth spacewalk during 2020
NASA describes the goals of today’s spacewalk outside the space station:
During the spacewalk, Ryzhikov and Kud-Sverchkov will first conduct leak inspections outside the hatch, as this will be the first spacewalk using the Poisk module for its purpose as an airlock. Next, they will relocate an antenna from another module, the Pirs docking compartment, to Poisk, the first in a series of tasks over the course of several spacewalks that will prepare Pirs for decommissioning, undocking, and disposal. The Earth-facing Pirs will be replaced by the new Russian Multipurpose Laboratory Module, named “Nauka,” Russian for “science,” which is being prepared for launch at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.
The cosmonauts also will replace a fluid flow regulator on the Zarya module, retrieve hardware that measures space debris impacts, and reposition an instrument used to measure the residue from thruster firings.
How to watch
The spacewalk starts around 9:30 a.m. EST and is scheduled to run through 3:30 p.m. EST at the latest. Watch below:
- SpaceX launches first operational flight of Crew Dragon capsule with four astronauts bound for ISS
- Baby Yoda catches a rocket to space with NASA’s SpaceX Crew-1 astronauts headed to the ISS
- Watch a dramatic rocket launch shot on iPhone 12 Pro lift off in slow-motion [Video]
Enjoy reading Space Explored?
Help others find us by following in Apple News and Google News. Be sure to check us out on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, join our Discord, join the discussion on our Reddit, and don’t forget the Space Explored podcast!